Flushing out negativity

By 9:03 AM

(Source)    

I noticed that when I started this journey to being a better person, I always felt bad, like I was doing something wrong. And I was. It's such a small thing that people tend to do naturally that no one notices how...negative it is.

15. become the person you would ideally fall in love with. let cars merge into your lane when driving. pay double for parking tickets and leave a second one in the machine. stick your tongue out at babies. compliment people on their cute clothes. challenge yourself to not ridicule anyone for a whole day. then two. then a week. walk with a straight posture. look people in the eye. ask people about their story. talk to acquaintances so they become friends.

I always had this mindset, even as a child: be the person you would like to meet. Be the person you want to fall in love with. Treat people the way you want to be treated. But as I grew up, I drifted from this mindset. The reason why is a completely different story. But I got back on track after eleven years. ELEVEN! Eleven years of negativity. I use to get mad easily, shout at people who didn't deserve it, give people attitude for no reason. I was miserable.

When I read #15 in the 16 Small Steps to Happiness, it truly struck me. I was a negative person in general. How could I be happy if nothing about me was happy?

It took me a while to get use to this lifestyle. Not talking bad about anyone, not getting mad at little things, being nicer to those you don't know. But I did it.

When a thought pops into your head (for example: Why is she wearing that, it makes her look terrible) and you change it, I think of it as how you were raised to think and how you want to think. Your first thought is what you are use to but the second you stop and realize what you were just thinking and change it (If she feels hot in that then she should be workin it like she's a part of New York Fashion Week), it shows that you don't want to think like that. And it shows who you really want to be.

When I see someone, I never judge them anymore. I don't have the right to judge them. 

I smile at strangers. I pay attention when someone talks to me. I never let a small argument get to me. I ask myself, "Do I really need to get mad over this?" I pay for my friends (occasionally). I want to start traditions. I want to fall in love with myself before anyone else. I stopped hating on celebrities I don't like. Their life doesn't affect mine, so I don't care anymore.

I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and it feels great.

Try it. I want you to try going one day without getting mad or talking bad about someone. Then try two. Three. A week. A month. Let me know how it feels.

You Might Also Like

0 comments