SOTM | Unbreakable Smile

By 9:00 AM



I haven't done this in a while! So the song of July is Unbreakable Smile by Tori Kelly. If you don't know who Tori Kelly is, she was a contestant on American Idol but didn't win. She started posting videos on YouTube and caught the eye of Scooter Braun. He signed her and she released her first full length album last month, Unbreakable Smile.So the story of the song is that (this is all quoted from both Tori Kelly and Scooter Braun)



Tori: I was getting some feedback through the grapevine within the industry that people were doubting if I was going to be able to do anything else - if I was just that girl with her guitar, if I was too boring, too plain, too nice, even...I'm hearing all these things and pretending it's not fazing me at all, and sure enough, that night, I went home and just spilled my whole hear out into a song. I think it was some things that I needed to say for a long time that I was holding in.
Scooter: I remember telling her, 'You're the most talented person I know, but you're boring. People think you're boring. They think you're vanilla'. But Tori is resilient. The next day she came to my house and said, 'I wrote a song about what you said, and it's called 'Unbreakable Smile'.'

It's an inspirational song, a very classy f u to all the people who told her that she's too boring to become a popular singer. But I love that about her. I love how down to earth she really is and how she isn't changing herself to make headlines. You should listen to the song, it's really good.

You Might Also Like

0 comments